banner-mission
History of Pawleys Island Presbyterian Church

 

In 1946 Dr. Cecil D. Brearley, Pastor of the Myrtle  Beach Presbyterian Church, saw the need for a Presbyterian Church in the Paw leys Island area. Twenty dedicated people began holding weekly services in homes until W. A. Freeman from Conway gave an acre of land on Highway 17 between the two causeways. Later, three Quonset houses were donated, making a building forty-five feet by twenty feet. Worship services were held twice a month at 3:00 P.M. and Sun­ day School each Sunday. In 1951 a cement block building was constructed containing four classrooms and the sanctuary. Dr. A. Sasser of Conway gave two additional acres behind the original acre. On July 22, 1955, the Pawleys Island Presbyterian Church was organized. In 1962 three more acres were purchased to the south and adjacent to the church property. A cemetery has been added in the rear of the property. In 1983 a new manse was built in North Litchfield.

On July 3 1, 1988 a ground breaking service for the new building complex was held. The building plans included construction of a new 350 seat church sanctuary, a separate educational and administrative building, renovation of existing campus buildings, and construction of covered walkways, courtyard, a playground, and perimeter parking. The style of architecture has a distinc­tive low-country flavor according to Randolph Key, Architect, "the design emphasizes classic elements of style, and projects a character that is indigenous to Pawleys Island. It's a reflection of the comfortable, but elegant atmosphere of the Waccamaw Neck area!!

The Pawleys Island congregation began worshipping in the new building complex on October 15, 1989.

Ministers who have served the Pawleys Island Presbyterian Church  are:

Rev. Ace Tubbs, 1953-1955

Rev. Fenton Miller, 1955-1958

Rev. Richard Frazer, 1959-1964

Rev.Fred Boozer, 1965-1967

Rev. Ernest Severs, 1968-1975

Rev. Don Trent, 1976-1978

Rev. Stuart Wilson, 1978-1982

Rev. Littlejohn Hamilton, 1982-1983

Rev. Frank Holsclaw, 1983-2015

Our mission is to proclaim the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ; to magnify the name of the Lord; to strengthen and serve our members through worship, study and fellowship; to reach out in service to our community and world. All to the glory of God.

Empowered by Extend, a church software solution from